“During labor, Sunshine was calm and knew exactly what to do in each moment. She was comforting through labor and re-affirmed my ability as a woman, that I could do it. Birth was a beautiful, spiritual experience, and I could not have imagined it without her.”
“Thanks to Sunshine, Caitlin, Paige, and Full Moon Birthing Center my pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experience has been perfect. Our dreams have come true.”
“Sunshine, our midwife had a perfectly balanced hands on and hands off, very natural and knowledgable, trusting approach to every element of the experience.”
Sunshine Tomlin is a graduate of the National Midwifery Institute and a Licensed Midwife in the state of California since 2005. She has attended roughly 400 births in the capacity of doula, student and midwife in the 16 years she has been attending births. She is a member of the California Association of Midwives (CAM), Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA), Citizens for Midwifery (CFM), Birth Network of Santa Cruz and BABI. She has been on the board of the California Association of Midwives as a regional representative for CAM region 7 which includes Santa Cruz, Monterey and San Benito counties. In addition to being a midwife, she is also a mother to three wonderful children. She lives in Felton with them and their father, to whom she has been married since 1995. Sunshine is a well-loved midwife in our community and is overjoyed to be birthing Full Moon! Sunshine is grateful to the midwives who have helped her along her path, the families she has served, and her own family which has supported her unconditionally.
I will meet with you so we can discuss your options and I can answer any questions you have about me or my services. Initial Prenatal Visit – Your first visit includes full health history, labs, and physical exam. Prenatal Visits – We will meet every month until the 28th week of pregnancy, every two weeks until 36 weeks, and weekly thereafter until the birth of your baby. Appointment Length – I will spend an hour with you for each prenatal visit. You will not be rushed. I am also available for unlimited phone contact or emails if you have questions between visits. Labor and Birth Support – I will stay with you and support you through labor and birth. You will know that I will attend your birth, not whoever may be on-call. Breastfeeding Support – You will receive 24 hour on-call support for you and your baby after birth to help establish a solid breastfeeding relationship. Newborn Exam – I stay for 2-4 hours after the birth of your baby, during which time I will perform a complete physical exam of the baby done right at your side. Postpartum Care for Mom & Baby – Home visits occur at one, three, and seven days postpartum and then you will have office visits at approximately two and six weeks after the birth of your baby. Well-Woman care – Once a year I will be available to you for your pap and annual breast exam. I attend women in Santa Cruz and Santa Clara Counties.
Benefits of Homebirth
- Maximum control over your body and birth experience
- The comfort of your own home aids in relaxation and enjoyment
- The freedom to give birth anywhere in any position
- Mother and child are never separated, thereby strengthening their initial bond and encouraging breastfeeding
- Fathers are welcome to catch their babies and to be as involved in the birthing process as they desire
- Siblings and loved ones are always welcome
- Your home is clean (Homes don’t have the volumes of germs, sick people, and blood and body fluids that the hospitals do; therefore the risk of infection is greatly reduced.)
- 1 in 3 hospital births end in C-Section, with some area hospitals higher than 30%
- Your options are based on what is best for you and your baby, rather than hospital schedules and regulations